Nunya's Only Talking About Lifting Thread (even dumbasses can join)

opinionator

its fucking great for the shoulders. the overhead hang is a 'lost range' because we dont climb trees and generally fuck about like we did in our evolutionary environment. i've been hanging every day for more than a year now. i struggled with wonky shoulders for years doing more traditional bodybuilding without understanding correct form. fixed the imbalances, corrected the impingements and restored the full range of motion with hanging and other body weight work. now i am the strongest and most resilient and mobile i have ever been in my life.

Will

Administrator
Staff member
Did a work out tonight and totally forgot to do it. But i will! Do you warm up or go straight into it ?

Vaughany

its fucking great for the shoulders. the overhead hang is a 'lost range' because we dont climb trees and generally fuck about like we did in our evolutionary environment. i've been hanging every day for more than a year now. i struggled with wonky shoulders for years doing more traditional bodybuilding without understanding correct form. fixed the imbalances, corrected the impingements and restored the full range of motion with hanging and other body weight work. now i am the strongest and most resilient and mobile i have ever been in my life.
do you play touch-butt with a dork in the park though? That is the key

Will

Administrator
Staff member

Moretti

So how strong are you now? Post up some stats in here guys.

opinionator

um my one rep max strict form pull = 82 kg bodyweight + 30kg extra. not bad for a skinny internet poker player/musician.

portal talks about hanging supporting overall upper body strength by working what's happening at either end of the arm - grip strength and scapular strength/mobility. hanging works them both and is great for the kinetic chain if anyone is doing traditional power lifting exercises like squats/deads.

its also about breaking out of the gym mentality, 'oh its time to work out' - rather, you get up and expose the body to different movement signals throughout the day. a minute hanging here, 2 minutes there, 7-10 minutes a day total, every day. its a different work ethic

Will

Administrator
Staff member
Current stats
Body Weight 80 KG (176 pounds)

Current PB's
Bench 10 x 85 KG ( 187 pounds )
Standing Military Press 8 x 52 KG (114 pounds)
Squat 9 x 62 KG (136 pounds)

Workout
Wendlers 5/3/1 ( with 10 assistance sets at end ) For the past 2 years on and off.

I know my squat is pathetic but I have back issues that flare up if I go too much heavier ;(

Moretti

@TheCalculator no other stats? whats your weight (approx.)?

@Will are you not doing deadlifts because of the back issue? trying to work around it with back assistance? back extensions on roman chair or something?

@opinionator +30kg on pullups not bad at all imo - during what part of "portals" routine are you trying your 1-rep-max out? Btw I'm not against hanging at all, just don't think ponytail invented it and don't think it makes you stronger on any other than the involved muscle groups ;). What are you training aside from hanging/pullups? You mentioned squats/deadlifts?

Will

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Moretti,

Correct. I have tweaked my back so bad on deads that i had shooting pains down my leg and severe pain for days. I currently do no isolated back exercises. It is something i should introduce.

opinionator

@TheCalculator no other stats? whats your weight (approx.)?

@Will are you not doing deadlifts because of the back issue? trying to work around it with back assistance? back extensions on roman chair or something?

@opinionator +30kg on pullups not bad at all imo - during what part of "portals" routine are you trying your 1-rep-max out? Btw I'm not against hanging at all, just don't think ponytail invented it and don't think it makes you stronger on any other than the involved muscle groups ;). What are you training aside from hanging/pullups? You mentioned squats/deadlifts?

i'd say monkeys invented hanging ! who invented what means nothing, its not about credit its about synthesising an effective approach to fitness that works for everyone and breaks the gym/sets/reps mentality that the mainstream fitness industry profits from. ido's approach provides far better 'bang for buck' and results in far fewer imbalances, injuries and limited ranges and if he profits from that - great !

take any of portal's monsters into the gym and they will outlift you. let's see you perform a single one of the upper body basics they practice. i've seen girls doing them. are you weaker than ponytail's girlfriends ? i am ...

as for me, my deadlift and squat are weak as shit cuz i had a hernia for 4 years and my legs are still skinny as shit. that's ok all i do with them is walk/ride around anyway.

the upper body stuff is important to me as a piano player and computer user who struggled with poor posture and chronic tendinosis for years. maximum 'bang for buck' with minimum wear and tear + maximum resilience to injury is important to me - not gettin swole. i do what i do so i have the strength and resilience to engage fully with life without being held back by injuries and imbalances and that's what attracts me to the portal method.

Last edited:

Moretti

You're always repeating how it works for everyone. What are you talking about? Just like with certain weighttraining exercises you'll have certain bodyweight exercises people with certain injuries/preexisting conditions won't be able to perform. Or are you talking about progress? Sure, people will make progress on a bodyweight training program. They'll have progress in the exercises they perform and the muscle groups involved in them. But hey, they're going to make progress on a basic strength training, too. So again: What are you even talking about?
Then you're blabbering about sets/reps and how the fitness industry profits from it.
There is a big industry that profits from selling gym gear, nutrition and memberships. That's true. My best guess is you're talking about standard-mass-people-gyms trying to reduce the space/time used by the average member to then maximize their paid memberships for the given space by giving the customers ABC-machine-training plans without caring about their individual goals/needs (I was really tempted to just claim all gym owners care a great deal for their customers and that standard machine training reduces injury greatly and that it's great if they can profit off that...). So, yes, a lot of the machinetrainingplans given to average Joe won't make them better athletes and it's done because those kinds of gyms want you to just hop through the machines and then leave and best case be sore so you won't return before next week which makes your 20 bucks a month a better deal to them.
There's nothing wrong about a well equipped gym though and despite you implying that everyone doing barbell training is a member in a mainstream gym, there's a lot of small gyms out there that do care about their members making progress in a sustainable way (aside from people having a home-gym, university-gyms etc.)
The use of Sets/Reps is totally plausible to me from a training perspective. Also if you're not using that or weight I don't see how you're going to claim you're stronger than anyone or even than yourself at a previous point in time.
You claim there's fewer imbalances than with regular strength training. When barbell training is performed properly I don't really see that argument. Actually, I know a few people (including myself) that got over some decent imbalances from previous sports by getting on a barbell strength plan ( at least partially).
Also you claim there's less injuries with Portal training (whatever that is by definition) than with weighttraining but you really don't know. Fwiw Nuckols cites studies at 1-5 overall injuries per 1000 hours assuming correct form in his squat seminar which is not all that much when compared to other sports.

Oh yeah before I forget to comment on the last part of your lowquality post:
My complete stats and current training plan are in this very thread. So there's really no point in claiming someone outlifts me for obvious reasons.
Also I haven't been training handstand pushups and havent trained with rings in forever.

opinionator

so you cant perform a single one of the upper body basic skills ? i say that makes you weaker than ponytail's girlfriends. maybe you have a narrower definition of 'strength'. are you offended by the assertion that olympic gymnasts would outlift you in the gym within a few days as well ? i bet they would. why arent they in the gym lifting every day ? gee good question. turns out they do 95% body weight strength training. portal lifts a lot of his stuff from the gymnastics world. why ? because it works. successful gymnasts tend to be genetic freaks but so are professional powerlifters and bodybuilders as a rule. portal method lends ungodly strength to everyone with the dedication to apply themselves to it, not just the genetic outliers. youtube 'portal method' and look at people filming their progression over various periods of months and make your own judgments.

your agenda dictates your parameters. if you wanna get swole, hit the gym and deal with the consequences. if what you're doing works for you - great. no one's trying to convince you to join a club or a cult. do what works for you. its not my job to convince anyone of anything. i'm not pushing a product i just want to do what works best for me. i think 'bang for buck', resilience to injuries/imbalances and maximal flexibility / range of motion are important parts of what constitutes real 'strength' and the most intelligent effective approach to developing it - if you have a different philosophy, that's your business. if you think what you're doing already strikes an optimal balance among those things - keep smashing it up.

what i like about portal is he challenges every exercise thusly: what question does this answer ? is there a better answer ? what question are you answering when you throw that barbell around ? is there a way to get where you want to be faster, with less effort/strain on the joints or with less risk of injury/imbalance/limited ranges ? how about maintenance ? once portal method upper body basics are attained, near-optimal strength is maintained with a half-hour of work a day. less strain, less effort, less opportunity for injuries to occur, more time and energy available for general movement and improvisation.

bruce lee was a big proponent of weight training - but even he injured the fucking shit out of himself thusly (with + his own BW good mornings - jesus !) ... just because weights are 'an' answer doesnt make them the 'best' answer. when it comes to injuries there's more than just the statistical likelihood of an injury occurring - there are also questions of severity (how badly you get fucked when it does happen) and recovery (how much of the effort that you've put in evaporates if your luck runs out and how much of what you do is halted by the injury) ... so are there any upper body strength questions for which the best answer is: throwing heavy weights around ? captain ponytail does not believe so. if you disagree, hit the gym i'll just be playing touch butt in the park ;)

Last edited:

opinionator

i trained with a bloke named kit laughlin who is an internationally renowned expert on strength and mobility focusing on neck/back pain. much less of a firebrand than portal - we did some kettlebell work but not a whole lot of it. mostly body weight gymnastics oriented training. when i went in there i was well fucked with shoulder impingements and RSI. they taught me all the stretching and strengthening and flexibility training i needed to correct all my chronic imbalances and deficits without any professional assistance or even much massage work. here he is explaining the hanging thing. did he invent it ? uh no. he's just explaining why its important for people taking this approach to strength and conditioning.

his channel is a pretty good resource and he also has a vimeo where you can get excellent routines for shoulder mobility and all kinds of stuff for super cheap. well worth a look.

NunyaBidness

Oddsb Poker Champ
Current stats
Body Weight 80 KG (176 pounds)

Current PB's
Bench 10 x 85 KG ( 187 pounds )
Standing Military Press 8 x 52 KG (114 pounds)
Squat 9 x 62 KG (136 pounds)

Workout
Wendlers 5/3/1 ( with 10 assistance sets at end ) For the past 2 years on and off.

I know my squat is pathetic but I have back issues that flare up if I go too much heavier ;(

Your press seems kinda low compared to your bench. You have shoulder issues?

My squat isn't great either. I ended up stopping doing them completely and switched to high volume leg presses with some other accessory work. My back is thankful, and I'm seeing growth in my legs again.

NunyaBidness

Oddsb Poker Champ
Hi Moretti,

Correct. I have tweaked my back so bad on deads that i had shooting pains down my leg and severe pain for days. I currently do no isolated back exercises. It is something i should introduce.

Start taking B-6 and B-12 for the nerve issues. I used to get sciatica from deads until I did that.

As Moretti said, Roman Chairs or Glute Ham Raises are great for your lower back.

NunyaBidness

Oddsb Poker Champ
um my one rep max strict form pull = 82 kg bodyweight + 30kg extra. not bad for a skinny internet poker player/musician.

Curious what your non-weighted pull-up max is? I haven't added weights yet as I'm still trying to add reps. Finally hit sets of 8 this week. Figured once I could do sets of 10 I'd start weighting them.

opinionator

Curious what your non-weighted pull-up max is? I haven't added weights yet as I'm still trying to add reps. Finally hit sets of 8 this week. Figured once I could do sets of 10 I'd start weighting them.

i can do 10-12 reps with a full range, which means from dead hang to sternum to bar. i dont really care - its only a number. i pretty much never do sets of 10 or more because that is in the hypertrophic rep range and my back is already pretty big and my overhead pulling pattern is far and away my strongest movement. i focus mostly on weighted work (portal method generally involves 0 weighted work but fuck it, i enjoy it), rope climbs, progressing my one arm chin and isometrics like arching hangs and front levers.

form is king on pull ups - if you're not arching back and getting the bottom of your sternum into contact with the bar you have a limited upper range generally associated with relatively weak lower lats and you have no business adding weight. this happens when people have a faulty recruitment pattern and/or because they have focused on reps instead of on form (cross fit style) and wind up working an incomplete range of motion which only exacerbates the imbalance in upper/lower lat strength/mobility. a proper pull up is actually quite difficult; here's ponytail demonstrating:

in the monkey gym kit laughlin and his crew got people to work a lot of chin ups (easier to get to a higher range and get the lats used to working in that upper range) and use resistance bands to provide assistance in the lower range and get the upwards motion started to allow the individual to focus their energy on developing the upper range. when i went in there i had 10 pull ups and thought my form was perfect. they said 'get your sternum to the bar' and i couldnt and realised i still had a lot of work to do ! well worth it though

Last edited: