UFC 251 Usman vs Masvidal

Mirinquads

Staff member
How do yall see Usmans wrestling stacking up to Burns? I think Burns strikes better, and he's obviously high level on the floor. Could potentially be dicey for Usman. Burns is also very physical and clearly in quite good shape.

Mirinquads

Staff member
They have trained together loads at att and still Burns confidently calls out Kamaru

punisherind

Foundation Member
They have trained together loads at att and still Burns confidently calls out Kamaru
True but at the same time usman seemed eager to accept rather than fight masvidal. Usman clearly has more to lose than burns, so I'd read more into usman accepting than burns calling him out.

I think usman will keep the fight standing, probably have a clinch against fence gameplan. Might start going for tds in the later rounds.

Mirinquads

Staff member
True but at the same time usman seemed eager to accept rather than fight masvidal. Usman clearly has more to lose than burns, so I'd read more into usman accepting than burns calling him out.

I think usman will keep the fight standing, probably have a clinch against fence gameplan. Might start going for tds in the later rounds.
I see the clinch against the fence gameplan as his best option for sure - ANd there wont be any crowd booing at him this time to persuade him to not go down that avenue. Did he wall and stall Maia too, or takedowns? Dont remember that fight at all.

punisherind

Foundation Member
I see the clinch against the fence gameplan as his best option for sure - ANd there wont be any crowd booing at him this time to persuade him to not go down that avenue. Did he wall and stall Maia too, or takedowns? Dont remember that fight at all.
He fought maia on the feet, mostly striking at distance iirc. Maia was spamming td attempts and flopping on his ass a bunch. Gonna be a different type of matchup for sure.

Mirinquads

Staff member
Fair point fair point. Even so I think these fights where the fighters know each other in and out often turns into slow simmers, which for sure could be to Usmans advantage.

lucky

neither fighter is boarding the plane to Abu Dhabi tonight for #UFC251

Current plan per sources is to reschedule fight for a later date.

JustBleedFan

No sparring for max and only saw coaches on zoom? I bet volkanovski tho i don't really believe it
I can hear Gianni now- "In a rematch in the UFC, the fighter who won the first fight wins the second fight 69% of the time". I also bet Volkanovski at -200. I don't know why Max had such trouble with him, but he did and likely will again even if Max had a good training camp.