UFC 229: Khabib vs McGregor

Will

Administrator
Staff member
Thought on felice and hottie? I keep flip flopping on that one.

Probably safer to pass or do something funky and bet both by split decision.

Will

Administrator
Staff member
Fwiw, Josh Thompson ( Team mate of Khabib in AKA ) is saying this is Khabib's last fight and he will only fight again for "special" fights. I.e Against GSP or someone like that.

Beelzebubzy

Fwiw, Josh Thompson ( Team mate of Khabib in AKA ) is saying this is Khabib's last fight and he will only fight again for "special" fights. I.e Against GSP or someone like that.
Hilarious so interim champ tony Ferguson becomes full champ if Khabib smashes Conor

Will

Administrator
Staff member
Ive been eyeing off Maynard for some time. The odds are off imho however i see this fight is at lightweight. Not at featherweight. Surprising considering maynard has had a decent run at featherweight in comparison to lightweight.

Turns me off betting this fight. ;/

TheCalculator

I think Herrig takes it easy. Her grappling is on a different level. Take that from a retired gambler.

JustBleedFan

Staff member
I think Herrig takes it easy. Her grappling is on a different level. Take that from a retired gambler.
I wish I could believe that. I favor Herrig slightly, but Waterson has added a lot of muscle and always find a way to mix things up on the feet and takedowns to make it close.

Skel

Put a little on Conor at +165. Will probably add more tomorrow.

Khabib is feeling the pressure and I think he'll end up panicked and leaving big openings on the feet. The plus money is way too juicy to resist.

JoshKnows46

Mcgregor should be atleast a -200 favorite, if Kabib sticks around after this, few more loses coming...Conor gonna make him look foolish out there.

JustBleedFan

Staff member
Mcgregor should be atleast a -200 favorite, if Kabib sticks around after this, few more loses coming...Conor gonna make him look foolish out there.
Man, I hope you're right. I'm worried about Khabib getting him down and wearing him out from there. But on the feet Conor should light him up.

Skel

I pretty much agree. Khabib's already been privately discussing retirement for a couple years.
I'm a little surprised he's a solid favorite here.

JoshKnows46

Man, I hope you're right. I'm worried about Khabib getting him down and wearing him out from there. But on the feet Conor should light him up.

Kabib is gonna be so much slower on the feet, price you pay when you specialize In one area, he doesn'. have the fast twitch muscle and insticts on the feet conor has. its gonna be hard for him to get the fight to the ground. Conors ability to see everything coming from actual great strikers, this fight will be in slow motion for him. Also McGregor's distance managment and accuracy is other worldly, ability to strike going forward or backwards, and kabibs lack of movement, doesn't circle out the way of strikes, but just leans to one side and puts his chin back and up, plus conors power. I think he really doesn't like this guy, and will toy with him a couple rounds to prove a point, so I bet the rounds 3-5 finish as well because of how much they are juiced, wouldn't be surprised if its finished in the first 2 minutes though. I know its not kabib level, but look how conor shrugged off alverezs takedowns at this weight class, and Alvarez actually has the hands and speed to close the distance. Kabib hasn't fought the cream of the crop yet, and I believe conor has better takedown defense then anyone he has fought. I'd favor Ferguson, Lee, and Justin G all over Kabib. Conor can stick and move and hurt him with jabs all night, I really dont think kabib has the chin of a nate diaz or a alverez, and he dropped both guys multiple times. It comes down to conor being far more versed in takedown defense and surviving on the ground vs kabib being completely outmatched on the feet, Conor can nuetralize his strengths to a much greater degree

Last edited:

Vaughany

Kabib is gonna be so much slower on the feet, price you pay when you specialize In one area, he doesn'. have the fast twitch muscle and insticts on the feet conor has. its gonna be hard for him to get the fight to the ground. Conors ability to see everything coming from actual great strikers, this fight will be in slow motion for him. Also McGregor's distance managment and accuracy is other worldly, ability to strike going forward or backwards, and kabibs lack of movement, doesn't circle out the way of strikes, but just leans to one side and puts his chin back and up, plus conors power. I think he really doesn't like this guy, and will toy with him a couple rounds to prove a point, so I bet the rounds 3-5 finish as well because of how much they are juiced, wouldn't be surprised if its finished in the first 2 minutes though. I know its not kabib level, but look how conor shrugged off alverezs takedowns at this weight class, and Alvarez actually has the hands and speed to close the distance. Kabib hasn't fought the cream of the crop yet, and I believe conor has better takedown defense then anyone he has fought. I'd favor Ferguson, Lee, and Justin G all over Kabib.
Do hope the McGregor Fast program has sorted out his cardio!

JoshKnows46

Do hope the McGregor Fast program has sorted out his cardio!

How sloppy kabib is on the feet, even a McGregor a un-natural 170 and gassed to the degree of diaz in the 2nd round of the first fight could ko kabib with 50% power. 170 is too big for his frame, don't expect him to gas in this fight at 155, I also believe he will keep it at his pace and freeze kabib up like he does much better strikers on the feet, kabib has to respect his striking power, they both need to make this a dance to get or keep the fight were they want it..kabibs lack of finishing ability gives him 5 rounds for the ko to materialize. Kabib has neither the height, reach, chin or striking of diaz, diaz is also outstanding at understanding distance like mccgregor and rolling with the punches, conor can keep kabib at the end of his punches far easier than he can diaz, can't really compare his first fight at 170 striker vs striker to this matchup, kabib will have a hard time getting in range to attempt takedowns. Diaz is tailor made to give conor a war, kabib is not. Didn't see any signs of gassing in his last two fights as 155, against Alvarez (2 rounds) or mayweather.(10 boxing rounds)

Last edited:

Will

Administrator
Staff member
I have some money on Connor but thought he looked soft at official and ceremony weigh ins.

JoshKnows46

One of the main talking points after Mayweather fight was about how he gassed out

Summary of the video?, didn't know that. Didn't seem like he gassed. Still its 10 rounds and mayweighter and diaz haven't been knocked out before, beside that kick by thompson on diaz... Kabib doesnt have the striking defense of those guys, just pulls back when others strike, and he doesn't have those guys chins. Kabib is a front runner and needs to be moving forward, or he will be in trouble. Those punches McGregor landed on diaz, normal humans can't stand up to, he doesn't need to throw that volume to KO kabib, he can take his time and just wait till kabib comes running in with overhands just like eddie alverez, this is closer in similaritys to the eddie alverez fight than it is the diaz fight. Mcgregor went up to 170 from 145, the cardio is more overblown than it should be, its not as drastic as that fight made it look, that's all I'm saying. The props 3rd-5th is a gamble based on line value and me believing mcgregor can control the pace and toy with him, more likely its finished early, don't see cardio as as big of a issue as those betting kabib here.

Last edited:

Vaughany

no doubt, he tools him standing. Just a lot of things that make me find it hard to imagine Khabib not rag dolling him eventually and finishing in rnd 3 or sumin. Only reason Chad didnt finish him or continue to dominate was cos hed had no camp and gassed out. Now counting on a Conor that hasnt fought MMA for almost 2 years to not get tired against a bigger and better grappling beast. Also spent most of past year acting like a moron partying and causing trouble, shagging sloots in liverpool! Kavanagh had barely seen him at SBG until couple months ago. A guy who spars with Artem Lobov and Cian Cowley vs a guy who is sparring with Rockhold, Cormier, Cain etc.. Just makes me wonder! But then Conor has proven people wrong over and over again so who da fook knows

JoshKnows46

we'll see soon enough, if your beting kabib then your basically betting on connor getting to that first fight with diaz level gassed out, i cant see that happening, and kabib needs that to happen. Kabibs previous opps didnt have the mental edge of connor, they didnt take the center of the cage, they didn't get in his face right at the bell, kabib is gonna have a much harder time backing connor up to the cage to get those takedowns then he ever has before. good luck with your action.

Sky

hard fight to call. khabib i think is just past his peak. A lot more unknowns with conor being out so long.. he did look a touch softer at weighins. conor has good reactions to punches but his stance is wide open to the inside leg kick which takes the power out of his goto left hand counter. alvarez started effectively with them but for some reason stopped? conor likes to lean forward at the hips a bit with a wide stance to throw off his opponents range, good for the lean back counter but also leaves his lead leg heavy, and khabib is good at those single legs in the early rounds before they get sweaty. got a small bet on conor at good odds so hoping kavanagh rubs lotion all over conors body (no homo)