news and future lines - december 2015

BoxScout

A guy I sort of pass in the hallway on Twitter sometimes wrote this. I thought it was interesting and a little depressing. How Violent Royal Families Buy Their Way Into The UFC.

http://www.vocativ.com/news/262414/how-violent-royal-families-buy-their-way-into-the-ufc/

Sunni royal families such as the al Khalifas have a bit of an MMA obsession. The Shidokan Jitsu Warriors War event in 2001 was hosted with the help of Kuwait’s ruling House of Sabah. Royals in the UAE and Jordan have spent untold millions supporting elite Brazilian jiu-jitsu coaches of their own. The most prestigious submission grappling competition on Earth, the Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championship, was founded in 1998 by Sheikh Tahnoon bin Zayed al Nayhan. Tahnoon is the younger brother of United Arab Emirates President Khalifa bin Zayed al Nayhan, and the son of previous president Zayed bin Sultan al Nahyan. Twelve years later, in 2010, Tahnoon got such a taste for combat sports that one of his investment vehicles, Flash Entertainment, bought a ten percent stake in the UFC’s parent company Zuffa LLC.

Vaughany

Nasty, Testicle-Obliterating Details Emerge From Julianna Pena’s Barroom Brawl Arrest

(Don’t make Julianna angry. Your balls wouldn’t like Julianna when she’s angry. via Pena’s Instagram)

They say that Christmas is the time of giving, and for the most part, it’s a motto that most of us try to live by when the holidays come around. Take TUF 18 winnerJulianna Pena, for instance, who seemed to be in a giving mood while hanging out with bantamweight Josh Gow outside a bar in Spokane, Washington over the weekend. Unfortunately for the recipients of her generosity, the things she was giving out were hellacious, manhood-obliterating kicks to the groin.

As such, Pena was hauled in by Spokane PD, and the nasty details regarding her arrest have started to leak.

According to Deadspin, Pena and Gow had been involved in a “20 person brawl” outside the Globe Bar and Kitchen which resulted in Gow being bloodied. When a visibly intoxicated Pena entered the Globe to use the bathroom and clean Gow up, she was denied by an employee and became “irate.” Then this happened, according to an eye witness:

If Gow’s name sounds familiar, it’s because he was allegedly the fighter who“attacked” Pena at the gym and caused the “gruesome” knee injury which kept her out of action for two years following her TUF Finale win. So he seems like a swell guy all around.

As of Monday, Pena’s name has no longer been listed on the Spokane County inmate roster, and the UFC has yet to comment on her arrest. If I were to take a guess as to what their response will be, however, I’m going to go with the classic “We are currently investigating both sides of the issue” standby. Because we all know that the UFC”s investigatory team leaves no stone unturned.

punisherind

Foundation Member

Perra

Does any of you brits know where to get tickets to ufc fight night 83? I've tried AXS.com already, but it seems to be sold out. Is there a second Hand market somewhere, as I suppose that scumbag scalpers have bought most of the tickets. Could imagine paying up to 200$ per ticket for decent seats.

Would be a Memory for life to see Silva Clown Bisping in England. I imagine something like Silva vs Griffin.

ezflyer

I try not to get swayed by pics like these.. But yea, if he doesn't look better on fight night, fade!