Beer

Napes21

Been meaning to start this thread for a while now - picked up a 4 pack of these guys the other night - highly recommend - my local high end supermarket has a sick beer collection so if others have recommendations I'm all ears:

Reactions: BT

Beelzebubzy

haven't seen that one before. Ironically, my whole foods has a decent collection

I did all of the Alaskan Ales last week. I would recommend them. I used to be an IPA guy however, I seem to be moving over to stouts.

Napes21

That one is a Dark Belgian - very nice. Don't think I've ever had any Alaskan Ales. Will keep an eye out.

BT

I'm the opposite of a beer aficionado but Bubz and Napes, you guys are both from NYC right? You guys get Genny down there? That's the cheap shit I always drink when I want to get wasted for as much beer as I can get while spending the least I can b/c I'm cheap when it comes to drinking. Heineken, Corona, Dos equis, are like the most expensive I buy for birthdays and shit, lol.

Suffice it to say I need this thread for actual good beers to buy and I can stop being cheap. Love beer in general, the good stuff is probably worth the extra cash. Like the thread idea, Napes.

Will

Administrator
Staff member
Was over in Bali / Indonesia recently. Didnt expect much over there but met Mrs Bintang

Quite inexpensive beer as well. At least over there.

Will

Administrator
Staff member
James boag Premium.

Which is more expensive than the below Draughts but a higher quality beer.

Carlton Draught. Is a staple. Inexpensive and gives the appropriate buzz.

Vaughany

I tend to stay away from beer these days...get the worse hangovers ever from beer - think I may have an intolerance to hops or something! Spiced rum is my main tipple these days

Napes21

I've had the st bernardus and am a fan. Will have to add the westmalle onto the list.

I'm right outside of nyc and I have no clue what genny is. Lol. I typically stay away from cheap beer or light beer. If I'm going for inexpensive or to a supermarket without a big selection a Sam Adams variety mix is my preference. Or some killians or something. Some of the beers that will wind up being spoken about are definitely not cheap but are also more potent than your typical brew. The Belgians can be north of 10% abv.

Went to Puerto Rico many years ago. Picked up some premium rums while I was down there to bring home. Were spectacular but so long ago can't remember any of the names.

Reactions: BT

Vaughany

WHen I go to Holland I do drink beer then as its kind of expected and can drink it in the soccer stadiums! So do have lots of the strong Belgium beers then when in some of the nicer bars that have a wide selection in Amsterdam. We went on this site last time before we got there and tried the top 5 ranked ones http://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/be/

PSUMike

Don't even get me started in here because I won't stop. I have a cellar of 100+ bottles. I'm more up on the beer scene than I am MMA.

@Napes21 have you had any Other Half? If you're into hops, they are doing very nice things. They are in Brooklyn IIRC. Grimm is also in that part of the world. I've only had Tesseract from them and it was pretty good.

As far as the big Belgian quads go, imo it goes Westy 12 >/= St. Bernardus Abt 12 >>>>>>>>>>>> Rochefort 10. For availability, St. Bernardus wins all day long. As legend has it, it's current recipe is the original recipe of Westy 12.

Being in the Western PA area, I have Voodoo and Brew Gentleman as locals with easy access to Fat Heads so I can't complain too much. Distribution is picking up a lot now as well. Wholesalers are finally signing some good breweries to bring in.

PSUMike

Any of you guys into barrel aged stouts? I'm not a liquor drinker but there is something about a bourbon barrel that is magical in stouts. I'm putting together a really nice collection of highly sought after stouts for a share that I do regularly with 2 of my friends.

Napes21

I like just about everything. Haven't tried Other Half - will take a look at my local to see if they carry next time I'm picking something up. Jealous of the cellar collection. Need to up my game.

PSUMike

I like just about everything. Haven't tried Other Half - will take a look at my local to see if they carry next time I'm picking something up. Jealous of the cellar collection. Need to up my game.

Never been but my understanding is Other Half is brewery only for cans but they have many draft accounts throughout the city at restaurants.

punisherind

Foundation Member
2016-07-06 19.19.28.jpg Not a beer connoisseur but had to try some local brew while in Denver. Chocolate and chili. Loved the flavor combo.

PSUMike

I really enjoy chili stouts. The sweetness of the stout mixed with the heat of the chilis works so damn well. For an easier to find one, Stone's Xocoveza is really good as well but that's a winter seasonal. Prairie BOMB! is available in a lot of markets as well but it's usually ~$10 a bottle so I buy it sparingly. That's one of my favorites.

PSUMike

2 Troegs Nimble Giants and 1 Carton Boat deep at this point. Both are among my favorites for what they are.

Napes21

I'll post about my July 4th BBQ creations at some point in the food thread but made some good ones. One of my buddies brought over a make-your-own-six-pack from Whole Foods but had so much booze here already pretty much everything he brought is still in my fridge. Just cracked an Aecht Ochlenferla Rauchbier (Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer) - kinda interesting - it's exactly like it sounds - a beer with smoky flavor to it. Not sure I would make it a staple but I like a little variety here and there.