Nunya's Only Talking About Lifting Thread (even dumbasses can join)

NunyaBidness

Oddsb Poker Champ
In this thread we talk about lifting only, and probably make some gay jokes.

Current Progress @ 190lbs (Current work sets / Max)
Bench Press 5x5 x 177.5 2x205
OHP 5x5 x 120 1x145
Squats 5x5 x 135 1x5 x 200
Deadlift 1x5 x 275 1x3 x 320

Will

Administrator
Staff member

Mirinquads

Staff member
Having shockwave threapy on my knees, I will be able to contribute when this shit is fixed.

In the mean time, if you need a musselman to mire (Who doesn't right?)

Marvin Eder:

Lifted before proper steroids was avablible (They were experimental at this stage) and is widely believed to be natty. Here's some of his lifts:

At a bodyweight of 190 to 200 pounds Marvin performed the following.
  • Olympic press - 330 pounds.
  • Deep squats - 50 reps with 300 pounds.
  • Side laterals - reps with 120-pound dumbbells.
  • One-arm-chins - eight consecutively with each arm.
  • Press behind neck - 305 pounds.
  • Side press, left hand - 220 pounds (with a man sitting on his hand).
  • Parallel bar dip with 434 pounds (two men hanging from his feet!).
  • Bench press - 515 pounds.
  • Still arm pullovers - 250 pounds.
  • Wide grip chins - 80 with his bodyweight and 8 reps with 200 pounds attached.
  • Consecutive handstand push-ups on a horizontal ladder - 25.
Yep, that is a 3 plate behind the neck press.

Moretti

In this thread we talk about lifting only, and probably make some gay jokes.

Current Progress @ 190lbs (Current work sets / Max)
Bench Press 5x5 x 177.5 2x205
OHP 5x5 x 120 1x145
Squats 5x5 x 135 1x5 x 200
Deadlift 1x5 x 275 1x3 x 320

BW @~178
Bench 1x5 ~209/Max 242
OHP 1x5 132/ Max 143 I think so I need to try and max 145+ next week coolface.gif
Squats 1x5 253/Max 308 So only 49 reps to those quads up therecoolface.gif
DL 1x5 330 or so/Max 374 (regular bar) - 1x5 374 Trapbar Max?
DL for reps: 41 in under 5 min with 231coolface.gif

Since some other stuff came up:
When I had dips in my plan the max weight I used was 110
Still doin chinups -usually with a 33 or 44 plate depending on how lazy i feel (doing them on the DL day so...)
For rowing I´m mostly doing one armed rows with a dumbbell
(66+ is the biggest they have there but I bought a single thick bar that I can use the 50cm plates with, so thats nice for grip strength)
As I already mentioned to Nunya the last routine I followed was smolov jr for Bench and Squats since then I´m trying to change it up on my own, also had a couple of setbacks here and there just like everyone else. Maxes are alltime but I´m pretty close to some of them right now so I´m hoping to stay healthy.

Will

Administrator
Staff member
Did any of you hit OHP plateau ? If so how did you break through?
The reason I went to body beast was to try and switch things up and get more work into my supportive muscles in the hopes I could revisit straight OHP's and break through my max.

Moretti

Lol I think I hit my first OHP Plateau at 92 or something and I´m hitting it every new weight again.
One thing that works for me when I can´t hit as many reps as I wanted to is clustering. Just adding additional single or double repetitions after failing in the initial sets until you get the desired total number of reps with the weight in.
(For example: you want to do 3x5 @100 but you get 5/4/3. Then you go add an additional 2/1 or even more depending on how you feel.)

Edit.: I´m missing your stats Will.

Mirinquads

Staff member
Did any of you hit OHP plateau ? If so how did you break through?
The reason I went to body beast was to try and switch things up and get more work into my supportive muscles in the hopes I could revisit straight OHP's and break through my max.

Have you deloaded? My OHP is abnormally high compared to my bench and other lifts, but I also neglect the bench, as for pure function it's pretty insignificant.

Try push pressing for a while, made mine shoot up. Working incline will likely do the same.

PSUMike

I'm off lifting until I can unfuck my neck. Just doing cardio in the interim which sucks because I hate cardio. When I was lifting, my bench numbers were in the socially acceptable range.

185 x 10, 205 x 8, 225 x 6, drop set w/ 175 to burn out. My goal was to get up to being able to 10-set my BW but with my layoff, I'm losing progress quickly.

NunyaBidness

Oddsb Poker Champ
I've hit a plateau on OHP about 4 x. I keep deloading back 10% and trying again. I use chains as micro-weights and that has helped me increase.

NunyaBidness

Oddsb Poker Champ
When I had dips in my plan the max weight I used was 110
Still doin chinups -usually with a 33 or 44 plate depending on how lazy i feel (doing them on the DL day so...)
For rowing I´m mostly doing one armed rows with a dumbbell

You saying you do chest dips with 110? Pretty impressive. I can't do them at all, they cause too much shoulder problems for me.

I'm still doing bodyweight chins, but I'm up to 8 now, can only manage 3 real pullups on a good day tho.

I do dumbell rows (57.5 x 3x8) as well. I was trying to do bent over rows, but they cause sciatica due to my condition.

You saying you do chest dips with 110? Pretty impressive. I can't do them at all, they cause too much shoulder problems for me.

I'm still doing bodyweight chins, but I'm up to 8 now, can only manage 3 real pullups on a good day tho.

I do dumbell rows (57.5 x 3x8) as well. I was trying to do bent over rows, but they cause sciatica due to my condition.

Sciatica is fucking terrible. I had extreme sciatica for around a year or so, with recurring back issues to this day. I used to barely be able to walk, and I'd need to take a cocktail of anti-inflammatories and painkillers every day just to be able to shower and wipe my ass.* Mostly cleared up though; I was shrugging and the bar slipped out of one hand, my other hand grabbed it tighter instinctively, which was a huge mistake.

*seriously, wiping your ass while you have sciatica is indescribable

NunyaBidness

Oddsb Poker Champ
Yeah, my first attack of sciatica I couldn't touch my left leg to the ground or the pain was excruciating, but hopping made it terrible too. So, I literally slithered out of the gym like a snake. Luckily it cleared up after about a week with B6.

Will

Administrator
Staff member
I am the guy spotting, I like to get my cawk close to people lifting weights just to let people know that I am the boss.

Mirinquads

Staff member
Good show. You kinda look like Bubba Mcdaniels.

On OHP I found it useful to switch to strict dumbells and go really far down, as with the OHP it will often be your bottom part that's limiting you, as that's basically all triceps and upper chest. Where do you stall in the movement?

Will

Administrator
Staff member
That's a great question. I will let you know when I go back to maxing out OHP.
From memory when my elbows were parallel to my shoulders I could not get them back up.

Re DB, would that damage your shoulders if you took them way past parallel ?